Close your eyes. Imagine sitting in a cozy chair reading a book by lamplight next to a crackling fire. Sink into a giant ocean of bath bubbles taking in the smell of lavender and rosemary as candles cast shadows on your bathroom wall. Venture out to your back patio to sip wine and watch the sun set as you wind down your day. Now imagine you walk into a house for sale and can immediately see yourself in all three of these scenarios! Can you say S-O-L-D?!
The secret is in the emotional connection these pictures paint. The idea of relaxing at the end of a long day, spending time indulging in fantasy through literature, or taking in the beauty of our world without having to say “hurry up, it’s time to go” speaks to our hearts. It brings a sense of calm, a sense of peace, the idea that our lives will somehow no longer be as busy and chaotic as they normally are if we spend time in this place.
Spoiler alert … home stagers know this and we plan accordingly. The tray on the bed with coffee mugs and a book? The wine glasses and cheese tray on the kitchen counter? The basket of fluffy white towels in the master bath? These “vignettes” as they are called are not by accident. They are purposeful. They tug at a buyer’s heart and make buyer’s “emotionally connect” with a space they are touring. In other words, they help buyer’s visualize a serene and tranquil life in a property they are viewing.
So how can you create these emotional connections in your own home as you attempt to entice buyers? After you have done all the “standard staging stuff” – de-cluttering, removing personal items, stashed cleaning supplies, and optimized furniture and accessories to create a spacious and open interior -- try adding these five vignettes to really tug at those heart strings.
1. Entryway– Add a fresh welcome mat that says “hello” or “home” or something of the sort to subtly plant the thought “this could be my new digs” along with colorful, welcoming flowers ideally in blue or yellow. Afterall who doesn’t like thinking they have an amazing green thumb and can grow these if they live there?!
2. Kitchen– Create a welcoming coffee bar for guest. Think coffee maker, cute canister for coffee beans, a catchy sign (“I like coffee with my cream and sugar”) and a couple of matching mugs.
3. Living Room– Turn that arm chair into a reading nook. Stage it next to a floor lamp, drape a cozy throw casually over the back of the chair, and place a basket of magazines within reach. Get crazy and leave a magazine with a beautiful layout (think Travelmagazine island vacation scene or Architectural Digesthome furnishings) open on the side table.
4. Back Patio– Place a tray with wine glasses, a pretty bottle, and small succulent or candle on a side table under a covered patio next to two side chairs.
5. Master Bath– Think of five-star hotels or your favorite spa. They all have those lovely fluffy, white robes and lush white towels. Make your master bath feel the same with a basket full of NEW (these are cheap and worth the investment! My favorites come from Target.) fluffy white towels placed on the counter or by the tub along with some cute soaps and a loofah or bath salts. Know what spas and luxury hotels DON’T have? Mismatched towels! So if you put the basket of white ones on your counter, be sure you take down the old threadbare colorful ones hanging on your towel racks! Whatever is featured in the bathroom should look consistent and match!
These definitely aren’t the only ways you can draw buyers in, but they certainly help pique their interest. When you are looking for an easy and inexpensive way to make your home stand out from the crowd, take advantage of these tips from the pros and speak to your buyer’s hearts. Hopefully their hearts speak to their heads and you will all be signing on the dotted line before you know it!
Of course, if you are looking for more professional inspiration and want help getting your house in tip top staging shape, give us a call; we would love to help!