I LOVE Christmas! And since many retailers seem to be jumping on the “Christmas in July” bandwagon with Black Friday sales and more, I decided to do some celebrating of my own. One of my favorite songs (while not technically a Christmas song, but often highlighted during the holidays) is “My Favorite Things” from the movie Sound of Music. My children hear it almost nightly and know multiple verses by heart. It is so soothing and uplifting and always puts my heart in the right spirit.
So in honor of the wishful holiday season, I decided to reflect on a few of my favorite STAGING things! These are my go-tos for warming up a space, giving it a contemporary vibe and just overall making it feel good when you walk into that room.
1. Trays – wood, silver, wire, mirrored. There are all kinds and I like them all. They are a great way to organize a space, group like (or even unlike!) objects in a robust display, and add interest to a counter, coffee table, wet bar, bedside and more. They come in a variety of price points but you can find reasonably priced and attractive choices in various sizes at HomeGoods, atHome, Pier 1, World Market, Target, and elsewhere. Often you can even find great ones on sale and they are very versatile – one look may work in several different rooms or with several different functions.
2. Greenery – specifically fiddle-leaf fig trees, small succulents, and a gorgeous orchid! Fake, of course. But in today’s faux greenery world, you can find some very realistic looking choices. The green makes any space feel alive with growth and opportunity, a perfect subliminal feeling you hope buyers will carry with them from your home. Although bigger ones come at a bigger price point, they last for years and the same ones can be used in multiple rooms and with multiple styles of décor. Orchids just give off that luxurious, fresh and sophisticated look — the perfect decorating accent!
3. New fluffy white towels – there is something about them that just screams “keep calm and house shop on!” I think it is because they invoke feelings of a day at the spa and make you want to wrap yourself in luxury. Again, definitely a vibe you hope your house gives off. I get most of mine from Target. They look every bit as elegant as their more expensive counterparts and hold up well.
4. Fake green apples, lemons, or oranges – these can be so realistic looking! And their vibrant colors look very clean and inviting when placed in a white bowl, wood tray, or glass apothecary jar. They are a perfect complement to kitchen counters which look best staged very minimally with only a few mouth watering vignettes to add interest and purpose.
5. A beautiful hardback, jacket-free cookbook – Open it to a delectable concoction and prop on a stand next to the stove top! Just think how tempting menus become when they feature a creamy cheesecake with strawberries spilling over the side or grilled salmon atop asparagus with cracked pepper sauce. If those same mouth-watering creations are featured in your kitchen, buyers will begin to dream about the culinary excellence they could achieve if they only lived there! Don’t have cookbooks anymore because, thanks to your phone, who needs them?! Don’t sweat it. Grabbing a great one won’t break the bank. Your local thrift shop has plenty available. Just be sure you get one that is in overall good shape, is a hard back book, and always remove the paper jacket for it to show its best!
Incorporate some of “my favorite staging things” into your own DIY staging as you prep your home for market and watch the simple transformations these budget-friendly accessories can make. Of course, if you would like more help in really preparing your home to wow buyers both on-line through photos and when they cross that threshold, then please give us a call. We would be honored to help!